Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Weddings and Papers

Clinton Wedding

It is with apathy and disgust that I read over the weekend about the glorious Clinton wedding. You are having this opulent wedding for your daughter, in this economic climate yet you dragged your feet paying your outstanding campaign debts? Who knows if they have even been repaid in full.

What is wrong with this picture. Wait.... I get it. Thats how they run government so why should their personal affairs be any different. Keep hitting up those Hollywood campaign donors Hillary. Plenty of free money there, well it's not exactly free as you do have to grovel for it.

Shameless is the word that comes to mind, but then again, I can be a harsh critic. Rather than listen to me go on about this have a read over former Asst Secretary of the US Treasury Paul Craig Roberts piece on the subject aptly entitled "Let Them Eat Cake".

It is a short read. Read it, and see if the word parasite, doesn't keep coming to mind... over and over again.

Immigration

The whole situation is something I have refrained from commenting on til now. I am a legal immigrant, or to be more politically correct, a documented person in this country, from Canada to be exact. I can attest to the paperwork and legwork necessary to accomplish this feat. It was a rigorous, time consuming process which involved financials, medicals alongside other documented evidence.

Why is checking some one's legal status here offensive.

Why is it considered draconian or an issue even at all for you to be required to provide documentation that you are legally here? I am proud to be here but I can tell you this I in no way feel discriminated or offending if as and when someone asks for my ID, which by the way, I carry with me at ALL times.

I need somebody to explain a few things to this simpleton.

First up, why is not having ID on your person not an offence?

I am not advocating more useless laws but having ID on your person should be mandatory for anyone with half a brain.
Maybe it is because I grew up as a child being advised to EVERYWHERE and ALWAYS have identification on my person. No ifs, ands or buts about it!

Secondly, why is the health aspect issue of illegal immigration not front and center in this debate?

My memory is not so good but I believe all immigrants to the U.S. at the turn of the century were given a physical upon arrival. Why are we not doing this?

Reflecting upon this entire mess it seem to me that many of these highly educated, so-called smart people in positions of leadership are not so smart at all. Either that or they know that which they do to further their own interests.

Japanese Yen

You watching the Yen today. Things could start getting interesting.

Housekeeping Notes:

Yesterday I was stopped out of my GLL position at $41.19 for basically a flat trade.


Good speculating to you all and please remember to never forget that "an investor is a speculator who made a mistake and will not admit it".


Open Positions:
Long 1 unit Direxion Large Cap 3X Bear ticker BGZ @ $19.34
Long 2 units Direxion Small Cap 3X Bear ticker TZA @ $60.30
Long 1 unit Direxion Emerging Mkts 3X Bear ticker EDZ @ $60.50
Long 2 units Direxion Financial 3X Bear ticker FAZ @ $19.65
Long 2 units Ultrashort Xinhua China ticker FXP @ $42.45
Long 1 unit Ultrashort Real Estate ticker SRS @ $49.10
Long 2 units Direxion Tech 3X Bear ticker TYP @ $10.52
Long 1 unit US Dollar Bull ticker UUP @ $22.52 stop @ $22.52
Long 1 unit ishares Barclays 20yr Treas ticker TLT @ 92.15 stop @ $92.15
Long 1 unit ishares Barclays 20yr Treas ticker TLT @ 93.48 stop @ $93.48
Short 1 unit Apple ticker AAPL @ $275.20 stop @ $266.50

2 comments:

i_grade said...

Its amazing how you don't see the problem with the question you asked,"First up, why is not having ID on your person not an offence?"

So now the government should dictate to me that if I'm going for a walk in my hometown, I should take my ID with me. Ridiculous.

Harleydog said...

i_grade,

Ridiculous... maybe, though some feel carrying ID is the only way to solve illegal immigration, that and prevent not sitting in the morgue for weeks on end as John/Jane Doe. In the least ID is light, compact and fits neatly in our pockets.

thx for reading and taking time to chime in, much appreciated!

HD